Rapid City Multiple Listing Service

Dandelion, Garden, Meadow, Plant - Free image - 336948

Questions and Answers

I am interested in a 30-60 day river raft trip in Alaska…what rivers would be good for this type of trip.?

Floating in 18 ft. Raft, fishing alway a plus, level 3 rapids ok…I just dont want to flip and not real encourage about a portage…I have average white water skills. Due to financial factors, I cannot use an outfitter, but will be traveling from the midwest in truck. Prepared to consider this a once in a lifetime trip. Also interested in best time of the year, considering snow, cold, rain and mosquitoes. I am not real certain how this internet ask it program works…so if you have additional information and want to discuss on telephone or via email, please advise. I am a sponge for additional information about such a trip.

Posted by chevytruck
Black Hills Real Estate

The list would pretty much start and end with the Yukon River. Put in and take out points could vary, but anything else drains too quickly, too fast and/or is too short to last a month or two.

But the Yukon – if you can be free for 30-60 days – WOW! Put in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory and float past Dawson City, YK and then into Alaska past Eagle and Circle (all places to resupply). Then onto to the Dalton Highway "Haul Road" where the Alaska Pipeline crosses the Yukon. That's a great month-long trip. Longer if you camp out multiple nights in different spots to explore around.

Continuing past the pipeline crossing makes it more of an expediation. The downstream settlements are MUCH smaller – just native villages, and off the road system. So you can't hitch or drive back. And air chartering or air cargoing your stuff back ain't cheap.

But if you take out at the Pipeline, you could hitch back to Whitehorse in a few days. Have stuff to make a big sign, "Rafted from Whitehorse, need to get back now." and someone like me would give you a ride just to hear your trip report.

Whitewater in Alaska is a problem. With glacial rivers at 40F, anyone going in the water is suddenly a survival situation. It is great that you have those skills, but the Yukon is so big as to be pretty tame the whole way.

Fish: trout and whitefish and grayling are always there. Salmon are more towards July/August.

Weather: May is often pretty clear and stable weather. Already 18-19 hours of light up there (how much do you need?) but the water is cold. The bugs often haven't breed up yet. If there are still some freezing nights, that really knocks the bugs down.

By June/July the bugs are full tilt. By August forests fires sometimes make the air smokey and hazy. But the water is warmer by then.

Bears and caribou ought to be plentiful any time.

There is a shuttle service at least out of Circle for rafters – look into that and into bus service along the Alaskan Highway – you could get back to your vehicle that way.

Read "Coming into the Country" by John McPhee. 30 years old, but still the best intro to Alaskan people, geography, and politics. Part of it discusses Eagle (right on the Yukon) and another 1/3 of it is about a canoe/kayak trip on a more northern river.

Also, get "The Milepost", about $25. It is the bible for northern road trips. All the NW Canada and AK highways are described in detail, mile by mile and the guides and suppliers along the way identified.

I need some facts about China!! Im doing a project in compy class and i need ANSWERS!!!!!?

Pleez i need'em FASTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!! X

Posted by ruphio_hook
Black Hills Real Estate

Here's a lot of travel information about China:

The People’s Republic of China was established on October 1, 1949, with Beijing as its capital city. With well over 1.3 billion citizens, China is the world's most populous country and the third largest country in the world in terms of territory. China is undergoing rapid, profound economic and social change and development. Political power remains centralized in the Chinese Communist Party. Modern tourist facilities are available in major cities, but many facilities in smaller provincial cities and rural areas are frequently below international standards. Read the Department of State Background Notes on China for additional information.

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A v alid passport and visa are required to enter China and must be obtained from Chinese Embassies and Consulates before traveling to China. Americans arriving without valid passports and the appropriate Chinese visa are not permitted to enter and will be subject to a fine and immediate deportation at the traveler's expense. Travelers should not rely on Chinese host organizations claiming to be able to arrange a visa upon arrival. Chinese authorities have recently tightened their visa issuance policy, in some cases requiring personal interviews of American citizens. Although a bilateral United States-China agreement provides for issuance of multiple entry visas with validity of up to one year for tourists and business visitors, Chinese consulates often limit visas to only one-entry. See ourForeign Entry Requirements brochure for more information on China and other countries. Visit the Embassy of China web site at Http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/ for the most current visa information.

Visas are required to transit China. Persons transiting China on the way to and from Mongolia or North Korea or who plan to re-enter from the Hong Kong or Macau Special Administrative Regions should be sure to obtain visas allowing multiple entries. Permits are required to visit Tibet as well as many remote areas not normally open to foreigners. Every foreigner going to Tibet needs to get a travel permit, which can be done through local travel agents. Permits cost RMB 100, are single-entry and valid for at most three months. Most areas in Tibet are not open for foreigners. Foreigners can be fined, taken into custody and removed for visiting restricted areas.

For information about entry requirements and restricted areas, travelers may consult the Visa Office of the Embassy of China (PRC) at Room 110, 2201 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W., Washington D.C. 20007, or telephone (202) 338-6688 and (202) 588-9760. For a list of services and frequently asked visa questions and answers, travelers can view the Chinese Embassy's web sites at Http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/. There are Chinese consulates general in Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco. Americans traveling in Asia have been able to obtain visas to enter China from the Chinese visa office in Hong Kong and the Embassy of China in Seoul, South Korea.

Americans who overstay or otherwise violate the terms of their Chinese visas will be subject to a maximum fine of 5,000 RMB and departure delays and may be subject to detention. Travelers should note that international flights departing China are routinely overbooked, making reconfirmation of departure reservations and early airport check-in essential. An airport user fee, for both international and domestic flights, is now included in the cost of the ticket price.

In an effort to prevent international child abduction, many governments have initiated new procedures at entry/exit points. These often include requiring documentary evidence of relationship and permission for the child’s travel from the parent(s) or legal guardian if they are not present. Having such documentation on hand, even if not required, may facilitate entry/departure

Find more information about Entry and Exit Requirements pertaining to dual nationality and the prevention of international child abduction. Please refer to our Customs Information to learn more about customs regulations. China does not recognize dual citizenship. U.S. Embassy and Consulate officials are often denied access to arrested or detained Americans who do not enter China using their U.S. Passport. Lawful Permanent Residents of the United States who do not carry unexpired or otherwise clear evidence that they may re-enter the United States will encounter delays departing from China. Lawful Permanent Residents should renew and update U.S. Residence documentation prior to their departure from the United States.

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Americans visiting or residing in China are advised to take the normal safety precautions travelers take when in any foreign country. Specifically, travelers should remain aware of their surroundings and of events that are happening around them. Travelers should respect local police requirements to avoid travel in some areas. In light of the greatly increased numbers of older Americans traveling to China, U.S. Tour operators should check that local guides are familiar with medical facilities and emergency medical evacuation procedures.

American citizens who rent apartments with gas appliances should be aware that, in some areas, natural gas is not scented to warn occupants of gas leaks or concentrations. In addition, heaters may not always be well vented, thereby allowing excess carbon monoxide to build up in living spaces. Due to fatal accidents involving American citizens, travelers are advised to ensure all gas appliances are properly vented or to install gas and carbon monoxide detectors in their residences. These devices are not widely available in China and should be purchased prior to arrival.

Security personnel may at times place foreign visitors under surveillance. Hotel rooms, telephones, and fax machines may be monitored, and personal possessions in hotel rooms, including computers, may be searched without the consent or knowledge of the traveler. Taking photographs of anything that could be perceived as being of military or security interest may result in problems with authorities. Foreign government officials, journalists, and business people with access to advanced proprietary technology are particularly likely to be under surveillance.

Terrorism is rare in China, although a small number of bombings have occurred in areas throughout China. Recent bombings have largely been criminal activity, frequently the result of commercial disputes. Last year there were over 80, 000 incidents of social unrest according to the Chinese government. The vast majority of these local incidents related to disputes over land seizures, social issues or environmental problems. While some incidents have grown to larger scales and involved some violence, these demonstrations have not been directed against foreigners. In April 2005 anti-Japanese demonstrations resulted in property damage and some reports of violence being directed against foreigners of Asian appearance.

Business disputes in China are not always handled through the courts. Sometimes the foreign partner has been held hostage, threatened with violence, or beaten up. Anyone entering into a contract in China should have it thoroughly examined, both in the United States and in China. Contracts entered into in the United States are not enforced by Chinese courts.

U.S. Citizens and business owners should be aware that many intending migrants from China will try to enlist their assistance to secure a U.S. Visa. In one common scheme, a PRC national will contact a U.S. Business feigning interest in a particular product or service. The PRC national then asks for a formal letter from the U.S. Company inviting him or her (alone or with colleagues) to come to the United States to discuss or finalize a purchase, or establish formal cooperation between the two companies. The PRC national(s) will then use these invitation letters when they apply for U.S. Visas to show they have a legitimate purpose of travel. While many such requests may be legitimate, some are not. Oftentimes, the PRC national initiating the contact has no relationship to his/her claimed Chinese employer. In fact, it is not unusual for these individuals to be part of elaborate human smuggling syndicates. Visa Sections at the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in China are regularly contacted by U.S. Businesses that unwittingly have been used to facilitate illicit migration schemes.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department’s Internet web site where the current Travel Warnings and Public Announcements, including the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, can be found.

Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling (888) 407-4747 toll free in the United States, or for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll-line at (202) 501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. To 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. Federal holidays).

The Department of State urges American citizens to take responsibility for their own personal security while traveling overseas. For general information about appropriate measures travelers can take to protect themselves in an overseas environment, see the Department of State’s pamphlet A Safe Trip Abroad .

CRIME: China has a low crime rate. Pickpockets target tourists at sightseeing destinations, open-air markets, airports, and in stores, often with the complicity of low-paid security guards. Violence against foreigners, while rare, is on the increase. Over the past year, incidents of violence against foreigners, including sexual assaults, have taken place, usually in urban areas where bars and nightclubs are located. Robberies, sometimes at gunpoint, have occurred in western China and more recently in Beijing. There have been some reports of robberies and assaults along remote mountain highways near China’s border with Nepal. Travelers are sometimes asked by locals to exchange money at a preferential rate. It is illegal to exchange dollars for RMB except at banks, hotels and official exchange offices. Due to the large volume of counterfeit currency in China, unofficial exchanges usually result in travelers losing their money and possibly left to face charges of breaking foreign exchange laws. If detained by police under suspicion of committing an economic crime involving currency, travelers may be delayed for weeks or months while police investigate the allegations.

Recently, there have been instances in Beijing and elsewhere of mobs in bar districts attacking foreigners. Nationalism is on the rise. Disputes among Chinese citizens or between Chinese and foreigners can quickly turn against foreigners. Caution should be exercised when visiting bar districts late at night, especially on weekends. There have been reports of bar fights in which Americans have been specifically targeted due their nationality. Simple arguments can turn into mob scenes and many times have resulted in the American being detained for hours for questioning with no right to an attorney or consular officer at that stage.

Travelers should have small bills (RMB 10, 20 and 50 notes) for travel by taxi. Reports of taxi drivers using counterfeit money to make change for large bills are increasingly common, especially in Guangzhou. Arguments with taxi drivers over fares or over choice of route usually are not easily resolved on the scene. In some cases, Americans who instigate such arguments have been detained for questioning and are not usually released until the fare is paid or a settlement is reached and the American offers an apology. We have seen an increase in the number of Americans falling victim to scams involving the inflation of tea and drink prices. Normally, the scam involves young people who approach English-speaking tourists and ask to have a cup of tea with them to practice their English. When the bill comes for the tea, the charge has been inflated to an exorbitant amount. When the tourist complains, enforcers arrive to collect the money. A similar scam involves buying drinks for young women at local bars.

Throughout China, women outside hotels in tourist districts frequently use the prospect of companionship or sex to lure foreign men to isolated locations where accomplices are waiting for the purpose of robbery. Travelers should not allow themselves to be driven to bars or an individual's home unless they know the person making the offer. Hotel guests should refuse to open their room doors to anyone they do not know personally.

Recently, Americans visitors have encountered scams at the international airports in China whereby individuals appearing to work for the airport offer to take American tourists’ bags to the departure area, but instead they carry the bags to another area and insist that the visitor pay an airport tax. Travelers should be advised that the airport tax is now included in the price of the airline ticket. The airport police or security officers should be contacted if this happens

American visitors to China should carry their passports with them out of reach of pickpockets. Americans with Chinese residence permits (juliuzheng) should carry these documents, and leave their passports in a secure location except when traveling. All Americans are encouraged to make photocopies of their passport bio-data pages and Chinese visas and to keep these in a separate, secure location, and to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate General. Please note the contact information below for registration by e-mail addresses.

INFORMATION FOR VICTIMS OF CRIME: The loss or theft abroad of a U.S. Passport should be reported immediately to the local police and the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If you are the victim of a crime while overseas, in addition to reporting to local police, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for assistance. The Embassy/Consulate staff can, for example, assist you to find appropriate medical care, contact family members or friends and explain how funds could be transferred. Although the investigation and prosecution of the crime is solely the responsibility of local authorities, consular officers can help you to understand the local criminal justice process and to find an attorney if needed.

See our information on Victims of Crime.

ENGLISH TEACHERS/SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHERS: Many Americans have enjoyed their teaching experience in China; others have encountered significant problems. We encourage prospective teachers to read the Teaching in China Guide on Embassy Beijing's American Citizen Services website at Http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn. In order for us to provide up to date information to prospective teachers, we request that Americans experiencing problems inform the Embassy by contacting the American Citizens Services Unit at telephone (86)(10) 6532-3431, or via email at AmCitBeijing@state.gov .

MEDICAL FACILITIES AND HEALTH INFORMATION: Western-style medical facilities with international staffs are available in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and a few other large cities. Many other hospitals in major Chinese cities have so-called VIP wards (gaogan bingfang). These feature reasonably up-to-date medical technology and physicians who are both knowledgeable and skilled. Most VIP wards also provide medical services to foreigners and have English-speaking doctors and nurses. Most hospitals in China will not accept medical insurance from the United States, with the exception of the following hospitals, which are on the BlueCross BlueShield’s worldwide network providers – overseas network hospitals’ list (http://www.bcbs.com/bluecardworldwide/index.html): Hong Kong Adventist Hospital, Beijing United Family Hospital, Beijing Friendship Hospital, International Medical Center in Beijing, and Peking Union Medical Center. Travelers will be asked to post a deposit prior to admission to cover the expected cost of treatment. Hospitals in major cities may accept credit cards for payment. Even in the VIP/Foreigner wards of major hospitals, however, American patients have frequently encountered difficulty due to cultural and regulatory differences. Physicians and hospitals have sometimes refused to supply American patients with complete copies of their Chinese hospital medical records, including laboratory test results, scans, and x-rays.

Ambulances do not carry sophisticated medical equipment. Injured or seriously ill Americans may be required to take taxis or other immediately available vehicles to the nearest major hospital rather than waiting for ambulances to arrive. Generally, in rural areas, only rudimentary medical facilities are available, often with poorly trained medical personnel who have little medical equipment and medications. Rural clinics are often reluctant to accept responsibility for treating foreigners, even in emergency situations.

SOS International, Ltd., operates modern medical and dental clinics and provides medical evacuation and medical escort services in Beijing, Nanjing, Tianjin and Shekou, as well as 24hr Alarm Centers in Beijing and Shanghai. Through clinics in Beijing (24 hours), Tianjin, Nanjing and Shekou, SOS offers international standard family practice services, emergency medical services and a range of clinical services.

For medical emergencies anywhere in mainland China, Americans can call the SOS International, Ltd., 24-hour "Alarm Center" in Beijing at telephone (86)(10) 6462-9100 or in Shanghai at (86)(21) 5298-9538 for advice and referrals to local facilities. SOS International Alarm Centers can also be contacted in Hong Kong at telephone (852) 2428-9900 and in the United States at (215) 245-4707. For a full list of SOS locations and phone numbers, consult the SOS website at Http://www.internationalsos.com.


Bayley & Jackson Beijing Medical Center
#7 Ritan Dong Lu, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100020
(86)(10) 8562-9998 Fax: (86)(10) 8561-4866
email: info@bjhealthcare.com
Website: www.bjhealthcare.com

Beijing United Family Hospital and Clinics
#2 Jiang Tai Lu, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100016
(86)(10) 6433-3960 Fax: (86)(10) 6433-3963
Emergency Hotline: (86)(10) 6433-2345
Website: www.unitedfamilyhospitals.com

Beijing United Family Clinic- Shunyi
Pinnacle Plaza, Unit # 818, Tian Zhu Real Estate Development Zone, Shunyi District, 101312
(86)(10) 8046-5432 Fax: (86)(10) 8046-4383

Peking Union Medical Hospital
1 Shuai Fu Yuan, Dong Cheng District, Beijing 100730
Tel: (86)(10) 6529-5269(registration and information); (86)(10) 6529-5284 (24 hours); (86)(10) 6529 6114 (operator)
Modern Facilities with English speaking staff. Separate ward for foreign patients.


World Link Shanghai Clinics: Expatriate doctors and imported vaccines. Hotline: (86)(21) 6385-9990 www.worldlink-shanghai.com. World Link Medical Centers located at:

Shanghai Center Medical Center
1376 Nanjing Xi Lu Suite 203
Telephone: (86)(21) 6279-7688

Hong Qiao Medical Center
2258 Hong Qiao Lu
Telephone: (86)(21) 6242-0909

Specialty Clinic
Lu Wan Hospital, 3rd Floor
170 Dan Shui Lu
Telephone: (86)(21) 6445-5999

Jin Qiao Medical & Dental Center
51 Hong Feng Lu
Tel: (86)(21) 5032-8288 Global Health Care
This is a Hong Kong invested facility with a strong cardiac risk assessment focus.
Staffed by western physicians.
Shanghai Kerry Center
Room 301
1515 Nanjing West Rd
Tel: (86)(21) 5298-6339
Fudan Vision
Managed by VisionHealthOne a Singapore health care company and affiliated to Fudan Medical University. Staffed by Singapore and western physicians.
Silver Tower 3rd Floor
228 South Xizang Rd
Tel: (86)(21) 6334-3668

Shanghai United Family Hospital
1139 Xianxia Lu
Tel: (86)(21) 5133-1900
Emergency hotline: (86)(21) 5133-1999

Shanghai East International Medical Center
551 South Pudong Rd
Telephone: (86)(21) 5879-999
GlobalDoctor, Ltd., has opened clinics staffed by English-speaking doctors within the VIP wards of government-run hospitals in Chengdu, Nanjing, and Beijing. There is also a clinic in Shenyang with a 24- hour emergency assistance hotline at (86)(24) 2433-0678. GlobalDoctor can be reached by telephone from China at (86)(10) 8456-9191 or on the Internet at Http://www.eglobaldoctor.com.

Additional information on medical providers specializing in treating foreigners for general medical, dental and orthodontic problems are available at Http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn.

Information on vaccinations and other health precautions, such as safe food and water precautions and insect bite protection, may be obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s hotline for international travelers at (877) FYI-TRIP (877-394-8747); fax (888) CDC-FAXX (888-232-3299), or via the CDC’s Internet site at Http://www.cdc.gov/travel. For information about outbreaks of infectious diseases abroad consult the World Health Organization’s (WHO) website at Http://www.who.int/en. Further health information for travelers is available at Http://www.who.int/ith.

ALTERNATIVE MEDICAL TREATMENTS: There have been increasing numbers of foreigners coming to China to receive alternative medical treatments or procedures prohibited in the United States relating specifically to stem-cell research. Any person contemplating these treatments should be fully aware of the risks of such procedures. The treatments can be dangerous and untested. The results are not guaranteed. In many instances, patients going for treatment develop secondary infections that cannot be handled by these facilities. They are transferred to hospitals for treatment and are responsible for all additional costs, including repatriation back to the United States. In some cases, these treatments have resulted in death.

MEDICAL INSURANCE: The Department of State strongly urges Americans to consult with their medical insurance company prior to traveling abroad to confirm whether their policy applies overseas and whether it will cover emergency expenses such as a medical evacuation. Please see our information on medical insurance overseas . China has no public healthcare system to provide for people without insurance or money. If you become sick or injured, you will be expected to pay for your bills, sometimes even before treatment is offered.

TRAFFIC SAFETY AND ROAD CONDITIONS: While in a foreign country, U.S. Citizens may encounter road conditions that differ significantly from those in the United States. The information below concerning China is provided for general reference only, and may not be totally accurate in a particular location or circumstance.

The rate of traffic accidents in China, including fatal accidents, is among the highest in the world. Driving etiquette in China is developing. As a result, traffic is often chaotic, and right-of-way and other courtesies are often ignored. Travelers should note that cars and buses in the wrong lanes frequently hit pedestrians and bicyclists. Pedestrians should always be careful while walking near traffic. Road/traffic conditions are generally safe if occupants of modern passenger vehicles wear seatbelts. Most traffic accident injuries involve pedestrians or cyclists who are involved in collisions or who encounter unexpected road hazards (e.g., unmarked open manholes). Foreigners with resident permits can apply for PRC driver licenses; however, liability issues often make it preferable to employ a local driver. Child safety seats are not widely available in China. Americans who wish to ride bicycles in China are urged to wear safety helmets meeting U.S. Standards.

All drivers should be aware of the Chinese regulations regarding traffic accidents. These include the requirement that drivers:

Not move their vehicles or disturb the scene of the accident unless and until ordered to by the traffic police (in Shanghai, the police now prefer that if the parties can reach agreement as to who was at fault they move the vehicles out of the flow of traffic.)
Summon the traffic police and wait at the scene until the police arrive and complete their investigation.
If called to an accident, the police may take 20 minutes or longer to arrive. Once the police arrive, they will complete a preliminary investigation and arrange a time for you to report to the police station responsible for the accident scene. The police will prepare a written report, in Chinese, describing the circumstances of the accident. They will present the report to you either at the scene, or more likely at the police station, and ask you to sign it verifying the details of the accident. Do not sign the report as is, unless your Chinese is good enough to completely understand the report and you find it totally accurate. If you either do not understand it or believe it is partly or wholly inaccurate, you may either:

Write a disclaimer on the report to the effect that you cannot read and understand the report and cannot attest to the accuracy thereof, but are signing it because of the police requirement that you do so, and then sign, or
Write your own version of the accident, in English, on the police form and indicate that your signature only attests to the accuracy of the English version.
Most incidents (such as an accident) will draw a crowd. Drivers should remain calm. A crowd will usually move in very close to the accident and participants. In many cases the bystanders consider themselves to be an ad hoc jury. They may call for money, usually from RMB 100 to 1,000, to be paid by the party they consider at fault. The amount is not necessarily relevant to the amount of damage. A certain amount of bargaining is normal, even at accidents involving two Chinese parties. Though a crowd may seem threatening, crowd assaults on foreigners at accidents have not been reported. If a traffic police booth is nearby, you may wish to leave the vehicle and walk there to await the arrival of the police accident team. Alternatively, you may walk to a shop, restaurant, or other location nearby in the immediate vicinity and wait for police.

You should not leave the scene of an accident. Your actions may serve to further incite the crowd if they perceive that you are fleeing to evade responsibility for your share of blame or payment of damages. The crowd may attempt to keep your vehicle at the accident scene by standing in the way or blocking the roadway with vehicles, bicycles and other objects.

Please refer to our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of the country’s national tourist office and national authority responsible for road safety at China National Tourist Bureau — Http://www.cnta.com/index.asp.

AVIATION SAFETY OVERSIGHT: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of China’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of China’s air carrier operations. For more information, travelers may visit the FAA’s internet web site at Http://www.faa.gov/safety/programs_initi…

SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES: Chinese customs authorities may enforce strict regulations concerning temporary importation into or export from China of items such as antiquities, banned publications, some religious literature, or vehicles not conforming to Chinese standards. It is advisable to contact the Embassy of China in Washington or one of China’s consulates in the United States for specific information regarding customs requirements. In many countries around the world, counterfeit and pirated goods are widely available. Transactions involving such products are illegal and bringing them back to the United States may result in forfeitures and/or fines. A current list of those countries with serious problems in this regard can be found on the website of the Office of the United States Trade Representative.

China’s customs authorities encourage the use of an ATA (Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission) Carnet for the temporary admission of professional equipment, commercial samples, and/or goods for exhibitions and fair purposes. ATA Carnet Headquarters, located at the U.S. Council for International Business, 1212 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036, issues and guarantees the ATA Carnet in the United States. For additional information call (212) 354-4480, send an email to atacarnet@uscib.org, or visit www.uscib.org for details.

Americans involved in child custody disputes with Chinese national spouses should be aware that Chinese courts may give preference to the Chinese citizen spouse and that Americans may encounter limited appeal opportunities under the current legal system.

Please see our Customs Information.

CRIMINAL PENALTIES: While in a foreign country, a U.S. Citizen is subject to that country's laws and regulations, which, in China, differ significantly from those in the United States and do not afford the protections available to the individual under U.S. Law. Penalties for breaking the law can be more severe than in the United States for similar offenses. Persons violating China’s laws, even unknowingly, may be expelled, arrested or imprisoned. Penalties for possession of, use of, or trafficking in illegal drugs in China are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines. Engaging in sexual conduct with children or using or disseminating child pornography in a foreign country is a crime, prosecutable in the United States. Please see our information on Criminal Penalties.

On March 1, 2006, a new Public Security Law went into effect that gives police new powers, including the authority to detain and deport foreigners, relating to the commission of a wide range of offenses. The list of offenses has been expanded to include certain religious activities and prostitution-related crimes.

Americans in China, who are not staying at hotels, including Americans who are staying with friends or relatives, must register with local police as soon as they arrive. Otherwise, they may be fined up to 500 RMB per day.

Americans who are questioned by police should immediately notify the U.S. Embassy or the nearest consulate. Foreigners detained for questioning may not be allowed to contact their national authorities until the questioning is concluded. Foreigners detained pending trial have often waited over a year for their trial to begin. Foreigners suspected of committing a crime are rarely granted bail. Criminal punishments, especially prison terms, are much more severe than in the United States. Persons violating the law, even unknowingly, may be expelled, arrested or imprisoned. Criminal penalties for possession, use, or trafficking of illegal drugs are strict, and convicted offenders can expect severe jail sentences and fines. Non-American foreigners have been executed for drug offenses. Several Americans currently incarcerated in China have been implicated in financial fraud schemes involving falsified bank or business documents, tax evasion schemes and assisting alien smuggling, including selling passports to provide aliens with travel documents.

In the past, protesters detained for engaging in pro-Falun Gong activities have been quickly deported from China after being questioned. Several of these protesters alleged they were physically abused during their detention. In addition, they allege that personal property, including clothing, cameras and computers, have not always been returned to them upon their deportation. Chinese authorities report while they have deported these foreigners quickly after public demonstrations in favor of the Falun Gong, future adherents who intentionally arrive in China to protest against Chinese policy may receive longer terms of detention and possibly face prison sentences. In one instance, an American Falun Gong practitioner who was traveling in China on personal business was detained and asked to provide information on other Falun Gong sympathizers in the United States.

Several Americans have been detained and expelled for passing out non-authorized Christian literature. Sentences for distributing this material may range from three to five years imprisonment, if convicted.

CHILDREN'S ISSUES: For information on international adoption of children and international parental child abduction, see the Office of Children’s Issues website.

REGISTRATION / EMBASSY LOCATION: Americans living or traveling in China are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department’s travel registration website so that they can obtain updated information on travel and security within China. Americans withoutInternet access may register directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.


The U.S. Embassy is located at No. 2 Xiu Shui Dong Jie, Chaoyang District, Beijing, the American Citizen Services section can be reached at (86)(10) 6532-3431 (8:30-12:00 a.m. And 2:00-4:00 p.m., Mon-Fri), after hours (86)(10) 6532-1910For detailed information please visit the Embassy’s website at Http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn. The Embassy consular district includes the following provinces/regions of China: Beijing, Tianjin, Shandong, Shanxi, Inner Mongolia, Ningxia, Shaanxi, Qinghai, Xinjiang, Hebei, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, and Jiangxi.


The U.S. Consulate General in Chengdu is located at Number 4, Lingshiguan Road, Section 4, Renmin Nanlu, Chengdu 610041, tel. (86)(28) 8558-3992, 8555-3119, after hours (86)(28) 1370 8001 422, and email address the consularchengdu@state.gov. This consular district includes the following provinces/regions of China: Guizhou, Sichuan Xizang (Tibet), and Yunnan, as well as the municipality of Chongqing.


The main office of the U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou is located at Number 1 South Shamian Street, Shamian Island 200S1, Guangzhou 510133The Consular Section, including the American Citizens Services Unit, is now located at 5th Floor, Tianyu Garden (II phase), 136-146 Lin He Zhong Lu, Tianhe District, tel. (86)(20) 8518-7605; after hours (86)(20) 8121-6077, and email GuangzhouACS@state.gov. This consular district includes the following provinces/regions of China: Guangdong, Guangxi, Hainan, and Fujian.


The Consular Section of the U.S. Consulate General in Shanghai is located in the Westgate Mall, 8th Floor, 1038 Nanjing Xi Lu, Shanghai 200031; tel. (86)(21) 3217-4650, ext. 2102, 2013, or 2134, after hours (86)(21) 6433-3936; email shanghaiacs@state.govThis consular district includes the following provinces/regions of China: Shanghai, Anhui, Jiangsu and Zhejiang.


The U.S. Consulate General in Shenyang is located at No. 52, 14th Wei Road, Heping District, Shenyang 110003; tel. (86)(24) 2322-2374; email ShenyangACS@state.gov. This consular district includes the following provinces/regions of China: Liaoning, Heilongjiang, and Jilin.

I am wondering how to correctly puncutate multiple city state combinations in a sentence.?


I have lived in Denver,CO., Chicago, IL., Rapid City, SD., and Dallas, TX.

Posted by Jamie B
Black Hills Real Estate

You have the commas in the right place, although, in newspaper style, there would not be a comma before the "and"–so, in your example, it would be "Rapid City, SD. And Dallas, TX.

But, you've got a few others, easily remedied punctuation problems. First of all, the two-letter upper-case abbreviations for states is a relatively recent system entirely made up by the U.S. Postal Service to aid swift, electronic scanning of the mail to get it distributed and delivered faster. It is used exclusively on envelopes and never in ordinary English like in your sentence. So, your sentence should read, "I have lived in Denver, Colo., Chicago, Ill., Rapid City, S. D. And Dallas, Tex."

Secondly, if you were going to use the Postal Service abbreviations, they never take a period after them. So, for example, it would be just "SD" not "SD."–except, of course, at the end of a sentence. In a few cases–SD being one–it gets a little tricky to distinguish between old and new. The traditional abbreviation is "S.D."–very similar but not exactly the same as the Postal Service's SD.

Third, while all states have a Postal Service two-capital-letter abbreviation, some states that are spelled with just a few letters have never had a traditional abbreviation. Examples: Ohio, Iowa and Utah. [For some reason, some authorities have Texas with an abbreviation, and some have it without one.]

Finally–whew!–when cities are so well known, it is entirely acceptable to avoid listing the state altogether. Again, using your example, this would be fine: "I have lived in Denver, Chicago, Rapid City, S.D. And Dallas."

Have you really lived in all those places? Which did you like the most? Hate the most?

Hope this helps–it's coming from Ga., GA, Georgia!!

I just read some of the other answers. May I respectfully and kindly disagree? You would definitely NOT use semicolons in this case. Let me know if you want me to expound on this.

Lea A answers, in pertinent part: "In response to the answer that stated that you would definitely not use a semicolon, let me add this from Wikipedia:

"There are several rules that govern semicolon placement: . . .

"3.Use a semicolon between items in a series containing internal punctuation: 'There are several Waffle Houses in Atlanta, Georgia; Greenville, South Carolina; Pensacola, Florida; and Mobile, Alabama.'"

Lea A is right [and, by the way, adds still another way to write your sentence], and I was wrong, although I don't know about using a Wikipedia article as a source. Semi-colon, hyphen, right parenths.

Dandelion, Flower, Boll - Free image - 337166